Review: "On The Other Side" by Carrie Hope Fletcher

Title: On the Other Side
Author: Carrie Hope Fletcher
Publication: 2016
Genre: Contemporary, Fiction, Romance
Link: goodreads
Stars: 5/5


Synopsis
Evie Snow is eighty-two when she quietly passes away in her sleep, surrounded by her children and grandchildren. It's the way most people wish to leave the world but when Evie reaches the door of her own private heaven, she finds that she's become her twenty-seven-year-old self and the door won't open.

Evie's soul must be light enough to pass through so she needs to get rid of whatever is making her soul heavy. For Evie, this means unburdening herself of the three secrets that have weighed her down for over fifty years, so she must find a way to reveal them before it's too late. As Evie begins the journey of a lifetime, she learns more about life and love than she ever thought possible, and somehow, some way, she may also find her way back to her long lost love . . .

On the Other Side will transport you to a world that is impossible to forget. Powerful, magical and utterly romantic, this is a love story like no other from everyone's favorite 'big sister', Carrie Hope Fletcher.

My Thoughts
"On the Other Side" is the first fictional book written by Carrie Hope Fletcher and it's safe to say that it wasn't a disappointment.

As the main character, Evie Snow was introduced, the first thought that came to my mind was, that's Carrie. Evie being a petite girl with "blond" curly hair and an extraordinary clothing style. And like Carrie said in her Q&A video to the book, Evie Snow is a product of all the character traits Carrie has or wants to have.

The characters are well thought out and you simply have to love them. Or in the case of Evie’s parents, you hate them from the depth of your heart. I don't think that it is a spoiler when I say, that the last time I had to reread a whole chapter was when I read "The Fault in our Stars". But as I reached the last two chapters of "On the Other Side" I couldn't hold back the tears because as the last task was completed and Evie was allowed to enter her heaven it was such a wonderful but to my mind also sad and heart-breaking moment, that I even have a lump in my throat while writing the review month after I read the book.

Nevertheless, I have to mention that the names of the characters like Evie Snow, Vincent Winters and Clementine Frost are really silly and slightly ridiculous to my mind.  

For me, it was a bit difficult to get used the writing style, because the book is written in the same style that Carrie speaks in her videos. But once you are used to that, you really enjoy that different style. 
Furthermore, the book is divided into Evie’s afterlife, the flashbacks to her past and the parts where she has to complete the tasks to get into her personal heaven. Those parts are labeled by the different layouts at the beginning of every chapter as well as the different typefaces.

With “On The Other Side” Carrie Hope Fletcher showed us a second time that she isn’t just a talented actress and singer but also a phenomenal author and I’m really looking forward to her upcoming work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: "The Truth Factory" by Cody McFadyen

Review:"Dragon Actually" by G.I. Aiken

Summer Book Recommendation 2017